Friday, November 9, 2007

Cactus

This guy I work with, Christian Wiggo Axelgard (Its "Viggo") burned me an mp3 cd of some of his stuff to listen to in the car. This one is cool. So is "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots". Fun stuff. There's another one called "Daft Punk is Playing at My House" also by LCD Soundsystem. Way fun. Brings back memories.....

Speaking of music, I wondered if anyone picked up my challenge regarding the blog titles. If not, that's cool, just means I'm SNEAKY.

I had a really nice stay with some relatives in Vegas. They were extremely generous and hospitable. One of them has quite the personality and is rough around the edges, but a great big teddy bear. Very outspoken, it makes me laugh, I love it.

I was impressed with the school. They get their students started in the clinic working on patients near the end of the first year (doing injections and assisting). That's quick. The students there love the early exposure. Most schools don't start clinical stuff until the 3rd year. Some, the 2nd. Its a very new school, opened 2002, and they're still very flexible with working out any kinks or issues with the students. They love the dean and she regularly meets with each class and has open discussions about the program. The biggest criticism any of the students had was that all the classes are in the same lecture room while the professors come to them to teach, so they spend ALL DAY in the same room.

It's still a bit of a long shot. They invited 250-ish out-of-state people for interviews to fill 30-ish out-of-state spots. Surprisingly, no one complained about the weather despite being from Minnesota, Florida, Washington, or elsewhere. They admit that its pretty hot for 2-3 months, but you're inside all the time anyways.

The first interview with a faculty could've gone a little better. She kinda grilled me about some poor grades on my record and she wasn't terribly cordial either. Very straight-up. Only real question she asked me was "How do you see yourself fitting in at UNLV?"
-"You mean with the students?"
She raised her eyebrows and looked at me to answer the question. I answered as best as I could on the spot. Weird question. The 2nd interview was with a student who had also eaten lunch with us and given us a tour so I'd already been talking to him for an hour. We just sat on a bench outside and talked for another 20 minutes. He only had access to my personal statement and we talked about it for a few minutes. Good guy, I think that part went well, at least. I don't know about the first one. If they accept me, I don't think I'd mind going there, I'd probably enjoy it.

Tomorrow it's off to Philly.

1 comment:

Debi Lassen said...

I like these journal entries on your blog....it's nice to hear your thoughts and feel like I've been along for the ride. Good luck in Philadelphia. Be careful!
Love you and miss you here in California...