Thursday, September 27, 2007

Oh My Golly (Part I)

There are so many nifty little gadgets on the internet, I'ma just going to share a few of them from time to time.

Google Docs

This one I don't think is so useful for large companies or "official" type stuff. It might be made great, but so many features are not there, limited, or incompatible with MS Office or other office suites.

It is awesome for personal use. For example, to keep track of my dental school applications, I made this nifty little spreadsheet. Here's just a piece of it.

Yes, I've been invited to interviews at 4 schools so far. I'm still very anxious to hear from the rest. I'm excited, but with each one, we stress about how we're going to pay for it. It's a good thing we also worked out a budget on another spreadsheet that we both can access from anywhere.

It's nice for having access to something from anywhere and share it with whomever you wish. Multiple people can be using the document at the same time and collaborate together on a project.

I've used this for a team report for an English class and it worked well for swapping ideas, brainstorming, putting things together, but our final report was all done and finished within MS Word.

I also use it to jot down ideas for blog entries or keep track of the pattern of my post titles. If you can figure it out, I'll do my best to get you a prize. The more people that figure it out, the more deflated I'll be regarding my esoterics, and the prize(s) will have to be small, like a virtual high-five or smack on the butt.

Another nice thing, is that since it's not stored on any one computer or hard drive, the data is fairly secure. Extremely low chance of losing files and documents created and saved on Google's servers.

I give GoogleDocs two virtual thumbs-up.

No comments: