Monday, November 5, 2007

Ed is Dead


Got pretty nostalgic about BYU last night. All alone, I came to my office on campus after the Robbins left and used the internet (since we don't have any at home yet). Then I walked around campus for a while. A couple was taking engagement pictures at the waterfall near the belltower, and a small family taking family pictures. Deseret Towers (freshman dorms) are all fenced off and empty. The Morris Center is empty and dark. Two of the towers are already gone, and it looks like the rest will go soon. Helaman Halls is all renovated and new, and they're building a new center right next to the Cannon Center. I wandered around, and wondered if people still do Tunnel Singing near the Marriott Center. Found out that there was a CES Fireside with Elder Oaks, so I sat alone in the Marriott center for 20 minutes until it started. Came back to work to check a few more things online and headed home.

It was kind of a strange feeling. Like I'm already saying goodbye to BYU because I'll most likely be leaving this year. I am made to stop and wonder how my life would be different because I had the opportunity/blessing to come here and have the motivation to come and work hard to be here. I know the Lord has amplified my efforts into not just temporal education and growth but a strong character and spiritual education and growth. My time here is irreplaceable. I am different for being here and will always be different for coming here.

This is just a public thanks to God for such a great school.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too was sad when I left BYU over a year ago. It is a wonderful school and I appreciate all the learning I recieved there. Not just secular knowledge but also spiritual, social and a good work ethic. Haans would love to go there but they don't have his major, but who knows there is always a Masters to look forward to. Congrats on all your interviews!!!

Debi Lassen said...

AMEN, Christian! I know it's not the only school people can get a great education at, but there is no doubt that the Spirit is felt strongly there. I can still remember learning Astronomy there and also be taught about Abraham and the learning he had from the Lord as he studied the heavens. How wonderful to be in a place where prayers are offered before every class and event! And to have the Prophet and First Presidency at the head of this University. I'm so happy you appreciate being there. It truly is an honor and privilage to be accepted to BYU.

Erik said...

I also miss BYU. I loved my time there, and have many fond memories. Because it is college and you are at that age and time in your life that many decisions are made, I also remember many nights lonely and scared of what life would bring. I remember the agonzing decisions that seemed to present themselves on a weekly basis that were going to affect your entire life. After getting married I really enjoyed my time as I was no longer lonely there. Sailing, Kitesurfing, my jobs, my friends, football games, good classes, awesome and inpiring teachers.
I work with a lot of people who didn't go to college and they always try to down play a college degree and how they don't think it would have made a difference in their lives. It's amazing to me how much you learn in college that isn't taught in classes about things that you aren't tested on. Real life lessons, and learning about yourself, stuff like that, having no money. Go COUGS! Hoorah!
I love you Chrisht! I'm so proud of you, I can't wait to hear about your next adventure of where you get to go next!