Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Something Against You

I did it, I finally created an official blog. Maybe its because I'm bored at work, maybe because I do like the attention and hope to get more of it, or maybe just because I'm at work at computer support surrounded by technology and it fulfills an innate desire to tinker and experiment. (My old crappy version of a blog was a pain)

The past few days I've been playing with Microsoft's free Virtual PC software. I set up my own little station here at work and having fun messing with it to get it the way I like. I tried three different times to put Linux on this machine. I like using the popular Linux OSes but they still have so many kinks to work out, that I don't feel it's worth my time. I tried Ubuntu but I'm not a big fan of the look and scheming of it. In response I tried Kubuntu which is Ubuntu with a different desktop package. (Ubuntu uses one called Gnome, and Kubuntu uses KDE). Here's a shot of Kubuntu inside Virtual PC.


First, trouble with the mouse, but found fixes for it here. Then trouble with the sound, but found no fix for that yet. I discovered that if I used an older version, both problems are solved. This came after using this to get the graphics to work inside Virtual PC. I'm no linux or anything guru, so beyond these was just not happening. Even getting a chat client that works with GoogleTalk is a chore. I checked into other linuxes but got lazy about trying them.

The one thing I really enjoy but have a hard time satisfying myself with are great desktop pictures. This one is awesome. It has amazing clarity and detail, a lot to look at, but not so distracting as to be hard on the eyes.

After all this, here I am, I'll try to keep this up with at least small posts regularly.

2 comments:

twolassens said...

I love your writings baby! your my idol!

Cristin said...

There are far more worse things you could do than start a blog. Anyway, it gives me more to read! Keep it up.