Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Lonely non-poetry late at night

too tired to think straight,
i'm likely to say something i don't mean
or do i, but i'm no longer inhibited from saying it?

trying to study the brain
and all that's on my mind is you.
listening to A.I.H. and it's all me
all me thinking of you

frustrated with not getting you
my mind looks for escape
frustrated with escapes
it dwells on you contentedly

your memories are the best drug
after your presence in the room

i'd run away from this 
hot box of you
but it's dark outside
and my feet need a break
and my head needs filling

my head needs sleep
if i could, i'd dream of you
dream of your smile
your dancing
your enthusiasm

but my dreams don't listen
to what my frontal cortex says
they do their own thing
making sense of this world
that doesn't have you in it
right now

billions of nerves
and i'd say half
are focused on you
a quarter on the music
and a few on these lame words
and the rest lost in neurotransmitter noise

10 minutes until
self-imposed deadlines
take effect.
if I can fight the
inebriation of studies
i'll pray to dream of you
while memories of brain facts
sink into place

1 comment:

Debi Lassen said...

Hi Christian...I can tell Emily was down here in Camarillo when you must have written this poem....it's really good, though, but kind of sad. I'm glad you are back together!
It was great to see you and your family this past weekend and to be able to see Leif be blessed. What a beautiful sweet family you have. Love, mom