Monday, October 6, 2008

Dr. Horrible's Sing-along Blog

Dr. Horrible is an aspiring evil villain and hosts his own video blog about his exploits. He has a crush on Penny from the laundromat and his arch nemesis is Captain Hammer. 


Joss Whedon and his brothers wrote this movie and music during last year's writer's strike funding it himself and releasing it online for free. It's been out since spring and already has a cult following as determined by the soundtrack's Top 40 Albums status on iTunes last month. The movie was made without any corporate or executive restrictions whatsoever and is only 43 minutes long as one of the by-products of the freedom allowed in its making. You can watch it for free several places online, buy it from iTunes, and a DVD is coming out soon. 

Joss is best known for the Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Firefly, and Angel TV shows and related movies. Read his wikipedia entry. He sounds like a pretty interesting guy. If Dr. Horrible looks familiar, that's cuz he's Doogie Howser, MD. Captain Hammer is Malcolm Reynolds from Firefly and the OB/GYN from Waitress

As a family friendly writer, I must warn that the movie, if rated, would probably receive a mild PG-13 rating for a few comments regarding intimate human behavior from Captain Hammer, revealing a smarmy side to his character. Other than that, it is definitely G. Instead of thinking it like poo in a brownie, rationalize it as the High Fructose Corn Syrup tainting your ABC Vegan Cookies. (My family owns and regularly watches movies worse than this --as far as innapropriate dialogue goes-- so no hate mail from the siblings, please).

6 comments:

John and Lisa said...

Hi Christian- ok...this thing is hilarious! This kind of thing is right up my alley! Never even heard of it until today. Thanks for sharing. Love, Lisa

Kents said...

Christian, Jonathan showed this to me about a month ago. You two should exchange notes. :-) It is silly but weird. I laugh at it. But your right, I would say, PG-13ish. Poor Mister Horrible.

Debi Lassen said...

Hey Christian, I even spent the time to watch this video of Dr. Horrible! It was fun. I liked the songs and the silliness. Didn't like the sweet girl getting killed, though, but figured it would happen.
I'm home today after my dental implant this morning...ice pack and advil are my friends right now and a day of relaxing. I can't help but think of your video clip of "Be a Dentist" when I sit in the chair!

Cristin said...

I also like Dr. Horrible! It's great.

Erik said...

Hil LARIOUS! Can't wait to watch the rest of it.

John and Lisa said...

Hi again Christian- last night Hank and I watched the entire movie. Thanks again for sharing! We loved it!! SPOILER ALERT: I'm not so sure I liked the ending though! Doggone it! Are you KIDDING me????