Sunday, October 26, 2008

Adventures in San Francisco


Spent most of yesterday studying at school and practicing on some teeth. Left in the evening and since I didn't have time for a long bike ride, I tackled a few of the more notable hills in this end of town. I went up and down the steep and crooked part of Lombard at the top of Russian Hill and then climbed up to Coit Tower at the top of Telegraph Hill. While on the way home I could see behind me some familiar masts sticking above the pier buildings. Hmmmm.

The fog rolled in last night and the fog horns started at it around 8 or so. As I sat on the couch studying until midnight I could hear the surf, LOUDLY. Laying in bed, it sounded terrifying and I started kicking myself for not having ridden over to the ocean to see it on my bike ride. There was more of it today, but it wasn't so impressive at Ocean Beach, 8-10 feet maybe but nobody was out in it to watch or compare the size to and it was far out and foggy and really windy. Not fun. Rode downtown (out of the fog and into the sun) and down Market Street to the Ferry Building and searched for those masts. The Maltese Falcon is berthed right near the east end of Fisherman's Wharf for the time being. Pretty cool.

On the way home, checked out Fort Point and there was some excellent surf and surfing going on. Watched it for a long time, talked to a couple people. Got really cold standing there. This is only the 2nd or 3rd time it's fired up like this since I got here in July and the first time I've seen it.  It was hard to leave. The wind on the way home along Crissy Field was brutal and along Lincoln Blvd, the fog was blowing so fast and thick you could see it billow in front of the oncoming traffic along the pavement. I took lots of pictures and put the best ones up on Flickr. Here's a sample I took from above Fort Mason.

No comments: