Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Here we Go Loop-de-loop

Soon, I'll have to write about all the cool stuff I get to do at school. Maybe next time. For now, this is my second ride of the Labor Day Weekend. Pictures links below.


I did the Marin Headlands Loop (voted best bike ride in the San Francisco Area) The Profile is only the first half. I was too lazy to finish it. I'm already putting off my anatomy studying. A great ride. On the 600 ft climb to the top of the Marin Headlands, a guy on a single speed passed me about 1/3 the way up. Not to let this happen, I kept up just behind him almost the rest of the way up in a similar gear as he had. The last half-mile or so he gained some distance on me. I talked to him at the top. Been riding the SS for 3 years. Rides a fixie around town, but it's harder on his knees he says.

Lots of old military posts, artillery stations, and batteries scattered ALL OVER the headlands. Some of the guns had ranges of 26 miles (WOOF).There's even a restored Nike Missile Silo with missiles on display. They're cool looking but I didn't get a picture. I did get some other pictures here. It's really quiet back there. Really quiet. So nice. It really reminds me of the Santa Monica Mountains. Very similar terrain. Greener and with Black Sand Beaches. I definitely have to go do that ride again. Again, in case you missed it, my own pictures are HERE.

Also discovered from a classmate The Bike Kitchen, a non-profit bike shop where you can purchase a year's membership or pay by day for use of the shop and get advice from the mechanics on bike care and help. You can even volunteer as a mechanic to earn credits towards your own bike. That'd be cool. Work a couple evenings and Saturday afternoons and build myself a fixie! We'll have to see about that.

4 comments:

Kents said...

I'm inspired. I've never been a bike rider. Don't really like it...but I love all your posts on places you've been. It makes me fall in love with biking and San Fran. Thinking of you. Happy Thursday. My mission bike has 3 working gears, fortunately for me, since I live on a hill, they are the lower gears. :-)
Kirst

Debi Lassen said...

Having just returned from visiting you and enjoying some of the places you have ridden on your bike, I have a much better appreciation for all your biking!
Be safe...your mother loves you!

Ditte said...

Love the pictures! I'm so glad you came down this weekend! Sure love you!

Brent and Mette Griffith said...

I love your pictures Christian. I would love to come back there soon. Maybe when I'm done with school I'll come visit you again...If I can afford it : ) It seems like you are really enjoying it there. Good luck with school and everything. I love you
Mets