Sunday, August 31, 2008

The Goggles, they do Nuthing!

Congratulations to Kirsten Kent for guessing the theme of the titles!!! A gift certificate for a Free Pint of Baskin Robbins is forthcoming.

Here's some pictures for those of you who check this site for pictures (there's also a link below for more pictures)


That's the path of my bike ride last night. All morning I cleaned and organized and put away stuff that's been sitting out since we moved here. It's finally all taken care of (visiting parents were some motivation). The fog cleared up by noon so I went down to the Beach from 2-3:30. I explored the rocks down at the end, but had to pass the nudists on the way. They're kinda a strange bunch. Nearly all overweight middle-aged or older men. A few younger and a few thinner, and maybe two women, but I'm not sure about one, I wasn't trying to scan the crowd or anything. The one I'm sure of was a topless woman who decided to run right in front of me with a big tattoo on the left side of her back. It's funny, because private parts are not very attractive, especially man-parts. I'd much rather see swimsuits over those parts (girls or guys). Esthetically, it's much more pleasing to the eye (let alone for any other reason). I also think there's a certain amount of exhibitionist in it too (like bloggers, we're vain enough to think people might not mind us exposing ourselves to the world). I know there's the whole "being free and one with nature, feeling the wind on your skin all over your body" but it was pretty breezy and chilly at that end of the beach. I put my shirt back on just because I was cold (if I'm cold, that's saying a LOT. Actually, maybe not, I'm kinda skinny and they've all got some natural insulation).

I took a few pictures from the rocks of the scenery. Went home for a bit, and planned out my bike ride for the evening. I don't know what inspired me to ride that far, just that I knew I could. I didn't have a water bottle but promised myself I'd stop at a Safeway along Ocean Beach, but once I got there, I didn't want to stop. I never did get thirsty, but I did eat most of my snacks I brought.

I first rode by the Legion of Honor, down past the Sutro bath house ruins, the Cliffhouse, to the end of Ocean Beach, up towards the Sutro Tower in the middle of the city, down to Haight and Ashbury, over to the Seven Sisters, towards the Mission District, the Metreon, downtown, Chinatown, Embarcadero, Fisherman's Wharf and home. A big loop. Here's the pictures.

I crested the top of Lincoln Blvd (just a half mile or so from my place) at about 9:00. I stopped at the vista parking lot there and turned off my lights, sat at the edge of the pavement and ate the rest of my food while overlooking the Golden Gate Bridge in the dark. The bushes sheltered me from the wind withouth blocking my view. It was really nice just sitting there in the dark for a moment with such great scenery.

It was mostly an exploration/scout trip to see the sights briefly. I'll come back and revisit some of them later more thoroughly. I left at 5:00 pm and got home just after 9. I was probably riding for about 3 of the hours. Maybe not that long. Oh, and the spiky bit on the profile to the right of the mountain was me riding around downtown and Chinatown. I think the buildings throw off the terrain or something, because it was just one kinda-long semi-gradual hill up and down to Chinatown.

And don't tell anyone, but as I passed by the trailhead to the north end of Baker Beach, there were a bunch of cars parked on the street. I found a couple people there and coaxed them into telling me what was going on. Apparently there was a mini Burning Man festival going on (3ft tall) for those stuck in San Francisco. I was tempted to go watch, but opted out of it, went home, and went to bed not long after.

2 comments:

Kents said...

Yeay for me! Enjoy mom and dad this weekend. We miss you and love learning about San Fran through your adventures. XOXO

Debi Lassen said...

We loved our visit to your new city! Now your pictures mean even more to us. What a ride you had that evening!
Love you!
mom