Thursday, December 13, 2007

Broken Face

I am an example of the meathead stereotype. Intermediate Weight Training kicked my butt, but I have a hard time not staring at myself in the mirror now. I wish I could keep it up. My class was twice a week from 11-12:00 in the morning. Then I had an hour break and class afterwards during which I usually went to the physics TA Lab and worked on homework. If I didn't bring my lunch with me or had a particularly hard workout, it was the hardest thing to not attack the nerds sitting across from me when they couldn't help me with the homework. "What do you mean you just did it and don't know how????!!!! Tell me the answer, GEEK!" A little nerve wracking holding back the reins so tightly. If I ate, never had trouble, and as the semester went on I didn't feel it so much, either. But near the beginning, things were pretty touchy for that hour or two till I got back to work and ate my lunch.

Also, I noticed I got really stupid during those times. I'd be staring at something and not have a clue how to solve the problem, TA comes along, points it out, and whoa, DUH! Yeah that was simple. I'm a retard. Good times.

I'll miss the class. It was so easy to get stronger having the equipment, set aside time, and a grade pushing you into it. Next semester while I'm watching Grace, I'll try to keep up with situps and pushups and things, but without the external motivation, it's harder. We'll just have to get a big mirror for our living room so I can stare at myself and how good I look. "Hey handsome."

My goal is to get really good at handstand pushups. I can do about 7 while leaning against the wall just barely. If I could get 50 of those, that'd be cool. There's also these home door gyms that'd be nice to have. Could even do these hanging situps and be all tough and strong. Grrrrrrr.

Funny: last night I did about 70 situps while wearing my jeans. That was a mistake, now I've got a rug burn scab right where the rear belt loop was.

2 comments:

trine k said...

I totally know what you mean, having a set time makes a huuuuge difference. Poor Lar hasn't worked out in forever and it's killing him (although his body isn't showing any signs of his lack of physical work- he's one lucky guy). My suggestion is to set a time for yourself, or get a buddy to work out with, that's what I do now and it helps so much.

Steffen said...

Have you heard anything about those door gyms? Do they provide enough resistance? I'm still looking for something I can use on the mish. Oh, and thanks for the call, I may just take you up on that resistance band offer :o)