Monday, September 7, 2009

Plotical

I'm risking writing this later in the evening. My senses may not be complete and my judgement may be impaired. Plus, I should be studying (like always).

I've heard/read that the planned optional speech from President Obama to school children across the country planned for tomorrow is causing a stir. I hope anybody who is paranoid of a speech from the President of the United States to kids actually takes the time to read the speech, which is HERE for anyone to read beforehand. As a kid I would have been pretty excited to hear a speech from the President of the United States, especially if he took the time to speak directly to kids. I probably wouldn't have remembered what he was saying even as he spoke it (listening is not a strength of mine), but I would have enjoyed the experience anyways.

It is an excellent speech and most kids who listen to it will probably zone out in the first 30 seconds, because it is pretty innocuous and contains nothing new or revolutionary or even political.

I highly encourage anyone to look at facts and entire pictures from primary sources (information directly from a witness of the event) and not through second, third, or fourth party sources who tend to filter what they present to viewers and listeners as it suits their purposes. With so much information so readily available through the internet, it is becoming EXTREMELY easy to verify whether information is legitimate and I personally am becoming mistrustful of any second or third party provider of news without checking from multiple sources.

A good rule of thumb: If it makes you angry, afraid, or excited, it's probably not an entire picture of the situation and worth double- or triple-checking elsewhere. Real life and real politics are pretty boring 99% of the time. The other 1% involves the start of wars, major natural disasters, and emotional outbursts of public figures (which we look at and shake our heads in shame over, oblivious to our own outbursts and flaws simply because they are not broadcast onto a TV screen or news site, which we would likely mistrust as prejudiced, biased, or *direction*-leaning if it made us look bad anyways).

I actually enjoy most of President Obama's special-event speeches. Whoever writes them does an excellent job and I find very little to disagree with them since most are based on good broad principles which can inspire the vast majority of us to live up to and not usually on specific policies. I wish I was getting a break in class lectures to enjoy an excitingly unusual speech from the President of the United States of America (whatever his name or party is). I also enjoy his pictorial and metaphorical style, even though it's misconstrued and misunderstood by many.

I know many of you might get perturbed by the political views of this cartoon, but I find it timely and funny anyways.

1 comment:

Ditte said...

Thanks for posting that speech. The girls told me about it and liked listening to him talk, even if they did lose interest. I wanted to read it after they told me. Thanks for being educated and the cartoon made me laugh. Propaganda is a powerful tool! :) Love you!