Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Daft Punk is Playing at My House

That's actually a title to an LCD Soundsystem song that I happen to enjoy. As a kid I ended up with a copy of the soundtrack to "The Saint" and on it is a Daft Punk song. Listened to it a lot. With my Columbia House membership I had at the time, I bought the album it came from. Wasn't so into the House music scene at the time (or ever, really) but thoroughly liked a few of the songs, much to the dismay of my family members. Last year a friend introduced me to LCD Soundsystem and their song which shares the title of this post.

When my brother left on his mission, his friend ended up with a bunch of his DVDs. When she left, I ended up with them. One is a Spike Jonze collection of his weird music videos, two of them being the very Daft Punk songs I used to listen to a lot. (here's another great one)

So, pushed into it by the planets (with so many flashbacks in the past year, I had to obey the fates) I looked up Daft Punk. They're still happening and quirky and kinda weird/sorta cool. For one of their albums from earlier this decade they created an animated movie in the late-70's/early-80's vintage style animation with the album as the sole soundtrack. No dialogue, just electronic/techno/house music. It's pretty awesome but does take a couple sittings to get through it (don't try it all at once). Known as Interstella 5555.

Synopsis: On another planet, a rock group is abducted by some bad guy, taken to earth, disguised as humans and placed under mind control and become the Earth's greatest musical group. A distress call goes out to intergalactic hero, Shep, who follows them to earth in his shiny silver guitar-shaped-spaceship and crashes (he also apparently had a thing with the female bass player). He rescues them and the story develops. Not gonna spoil this one. But here's a sample video introducing the audience to Shep who reminds me of my cousin Ben, but with blue skin.



Tonight I spent an hour and a half tinkering with the brakes on my bike (they weren't working hardly at all and the ride to school this morning was kinda hairy...) and had Daft Punk playing the whole time. Good times.

This brings me to another gem of popular internet creativity: Daft Bodies and Daft Hands. Set to "Harder Better Faster Stronger" words are written on fingers or body parts and displayed with the repetitive music resulting in cool patterns/movements/dance moves. (Daft Bodies may be considered PG-13 for the immodest display of skin, but the dance is really cool, especially starting at 1:30 in the video).

No comments: