Thursday, May 1, 2008

The Navajo Know

It feels like forever since I've written. It's not for having nothing to write about, just not feeling up to actually putting it in words on here. Tonight was enough of an adventure that I'll spit it out for you to enjoy at my expense.

My mom and sisters are up here for the BYU Women's Conference. I visited with them for some time after I got off work and went to go pick up Emily and Grace. We were going to come back to eat on campus with the Lassen women, but Grace is pretty picky and probably wouldn't eat anything, so when I got home I started some spaghetti boiling (she'll eat tons of it, plain). Emily felt like she needed some excercise after sitting in class and at home all day, so she opted to go to the gym for spin class. She dropped Grace and I off at campus where we snuck into the "service project" and enjoyed some good company (among several hundred or so other women). During dinner at the Legends Grille, Emily calls me up. Our upstairs neighbors said our fire alarm had been going off for some time. THE SPAGHETTI!!!! So she races home where our neighbor meets her and helps her get it under control. No fire, but TONS and TONS of smoke. Emily used a towel to throw the pot into the sink and turn off the burner. She thought the burner had melted all the way through the pot. Our neighbor agrees to watch the place while she leaves the doors and windows open so she can pick Grace and I up.

We decided we'd go survey the damage, buy an air filter, and pack up some stuff to spend the night at Emily's parent's house. Our apartment was rank. Like a barbecue had taken place indoors. When we came back with the air filter it smelled like nasty bar/pizzeria/trailerhome smoke smell. Emily was pretty ripe with smokey flavor just from going in to put out the mess. All of our stuff is hickory smoked too. Me, I escaped unscathed, so while Emily is taking a shower, I'm stench free.

As for the Kirkland brand kitchen pot: turns out it didn't completely melt. I would have been surprised for stainless steel and copper to form puddles on the stove like it did. But my suspicions were correct and according to the website, there's a couple layers of aluminum in the mix, and those are what turned into shiny messes on the stove. Some pictures will follow. Hopefully, we can get the apartment smelling less carcinogenic soon.
This is the copper core from the bottom of the pot. Below is the pot itself. Looks totally usable still! except for the inside...
I'm just a little bummed I didn't get to see the metal all drippy and liquid.

3 comments:

Cristin said...

Burning down the house is one of worst nightmares. I'm so glad you guys are okay.

Debi Lassen said...

How's the smell in the apartment now? Hopefully each day it's get better and better.
Sure glad you were safe....sorry we were the distraction that caused you to leave the house with the stove on!
It was wonderful to be with you.
Love, mom lassen

Candace said...

Tyler did that a couple of years ago, but we were asleep. When we woke up I noticed that the pot was melting. I was so sad, because it was an all copper pot and it is like $200 to replace just that pot....So we got a $30 pot to replace it.