Sunday, December 6, 2009

Food Inc.

Emily rented this from Netflix and it's been sitting in our apartment for a couple weeks (since she's been out of town). I've been really hesitant to watch it figuring that it would be exaggerated shock value. Not that it wouldn't be for a good reason or good cause, but when info gets tainted with semi-truth or one sidedness, it becomes harder to watch or support even if noble-intended.

I was surprised by the film.

The scenes of the industrialized farming weren't what surprised me. What really made an impression were the stories of corporate bullying and manipulation and seeing how deep corporate influence and control goes.

The interviews with the Joel guy from Polyface Farms were all terrific. That guy is pretty cool. It wasn't all gloomy by any means. It was pretty inspiring. In the special features theres an ABC news spot with Joel and the founder of Chipotle Restaurants.

I was impressed. I'm a fan.

2 comments:

Cristin said...

I almost watched this last night on Netflix. I'm glad you posted a review. I'm totally watching it now.

Cristin said...

Okay, so I just finished watching it. I am afraid that this movie just cost me thousands of dollars because now I'm going to have to try to figure out how to afford eating organic and healthier food. My family goes through 6 gallons of milk a week!! That's the problem. I don't know how to eat healthier without breaking the bank.