Sunday, July 20, 2008

U-Mass

Confessions I need to make:

1. I spent 20 minutes watching the hawk that sat on a neighboring roof, hoping to watch it catch something.
2. I really like the sound of dentist drills. The high speed drill sounds like a micro jet engine and whirrs in your hand for several seconds after you cut the power, the slow speed drill is like a mini jack hammer. I really like the sound of both.
3. I stand in front of our wall heaters naked after taking a shower- its like a full length fireplace.
4. My butt is getting firm and round from riding my bike to and from school.
5. My butt hairs are getting irritated and pulled out from riding my bike to and from school.
6. I'm becoming known as "calendar guy" by my dental class for making my own Google calendar and sharing it with the whole class.
7. Naturally introverted, the reasons for being an extrovert have dominated my consciousness for the past week and now I know at least 50 of the 142 names of my classmates.
8. An old roommate signed a record deal and has an album coming out this week in all major retail stores, and I can't help but throw my own little "claim to fame" around. Check them out: Faded Paper Figures. I really like it. It's the sound that Postal Service started with "Such Great Heights" but never perpetuated, with a bit of Death Cab for Cutie and Peter Schilling mixed in. Excellent music.
9. I'm excited to live in a day when I can see the finale of such a great show like Avatar: The Last Airbender.
10. I still can't believe I'm actually in dental school.
11. I can't believe it's the middle of summer. The San Francisco weather completely obscures this little detail.
12. I haven't paid much attention in my classes yet for two reasons: They're mostly review, and I've been working on my calendar.
13. I torrent lesser known music and movies, and a few tv shows.
14. I love it when Emily and I talk about breaking from the norm of our peers, especially to shun things like materialism and status symbols. I hope we can live up to our talk.
15. I feel some arrogance and pride when the sales rep who shows us students how to use our drills and handpieces says, "I visit 34 other dental schools, and this is the only one that starts students on these during their first quarter."
16. I also feel some arrogance and pride when I make a delicious veggie stir fry using at least three "gross" vegetables among other things.
16. I still can't believe I'm in dental school.
17. The owner of Capurro's came and schmoozed with us the other night when we went to his place on Fisherman's Wharf for clam chowder with some friends. He introduced us to the house Foccacia bread and their specially imported olive oil from Sicily. He warned us it would ruin us for olive oil forever. He was right. I can still taste it in my mouth three days later and I am still in heaven over it. My mission ruined me for salmon; Capurro's ruined me for olive oil and focaccia bread. Mmmmm. (Later, we saw the owner don some gloves and spend 20 minutes helping an old woman crack open her crab legs, what a guy!)
18. I enjoy passing other cyclists all decked out in cycling gear on $2,000 bikes in my slacks, shirt, and tie on a $500 Motobecane Fantom CX.
19. I feel really bad passing my classmates on their mountain bikes they've only been riding for a week, so I've probably pissed off quite a few drivers by riding alongside my friends.

This confessions list is a lot longer than I anticipated it would be. I'm a terrible person.

5 comments:

Erik said...

Your confession about materialism was funny. Its funny how we are all materialistic about certian items, but when you recoognize that you are being materilistic abour your favorite item, you rationilze it. I'm so proud of you for getting into such a high in dental school!

Cristin said...

You have hair on your butt? Gross.

Debi Lassen said...

I'm smiling right now, Christian...you are so funny....
your confession list is bizarre...I just saw the "Blue Man" Group in Vegas this last week and it was "bizarre" . You would have loved it :-} I enjoyed it and laughed, but it was still bizarre and strange. I could see you coming up with some of those strange ideas they had to be entertaining.

I will love you forever and am so happy you are my son.

Hey, by the way, isn't it great that the police found your stolen car? We were happy to get the call this morning.

Love you!
mom

trine k said...

well I'm glad to hear you guys are wasting no time finding more super yummy restaurants out there- you'll have to start a blog just with your reviews of San Fran places and you'll get tons of hits off it and can probably make some extra dough from google ads. Or at least keep a list for all the cool places for your family to go when they (we) come visit! :)

Anonymous said...

Well written article.